Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Tentative Reading List

1) Augustine's City of God Volumes I & II.

2) Alasdaire MacIntyre's Whose Justice, Whose Rationality? I am currently finishing the last few chapters of After Virtue.

3)  Peter Watson's The Modern Mind 

4) Peter Watson's Ideas: a history of thought and invention, from fire to Freud 

5)  The Complete Works of Plato

6) Finishing working my way through Greek and Hebrew grammars.

These are the six book that I most certainly want to work through.  There are other books on my list, and I will add them at a later date.
 

3 comments:

  1. On Michael J Kruger's blog you made a comment on his "a response to James Mcgrath" article. In this comment you can be quoted as saying "I was also humored by the ignorance of those in the combox who seem to think that subordination entails non-equality which doesn’t follow." Would you do a blog post explaining Suboridination in terms of the trinity and why it means non-equality? Sadly I and many others are quite ignorant about it and perhaps you could inform me on the subject. I would greatly appreciate it. And you seem to be knowledgeable about the church fathers and their theology, and you could offer a fresh and enlightening perspective to those who read your blog. I know Origen was a proponent of Subordination

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deleted your second comment because it was the same one you posted above. In regard to your question. To me it is pretty easy to see that just because two persons (in this case the Father and the Son) stand in a certain relation in which one is subordinate to the other does not mean that they lack ontological equality. In the same way that traditionalist believe that men and women have separate roles but are equal in dignity and value, the persons of the Trinity are equal in their divinity while not having the same roles in the economy of salvation, or even in their inner Trinitarian relations.

    ReplyDelete